Tuesday, August 19, 2008

the scent of grief

I have a candle that an online friend sent me after Caden died.
It sits on our Caden Cabinet in our family room.

It had such a strong scent in the room for months. Every day I would get a strong smell of it and smile and think of Caden. Recently though, I haven't smelt it at all, until out of the blue three times in the past week. Incidentally, I have had a few rough "caden moments" in the past week as well, where I broke down and cried for the first time in quite a while.

The candle, and its scent, is a lot like my grief.

It comes and goes in short waves, it was stronger in the first few months, and now it is always there, I just can't always smell it.

4 comments:

CLC said...

I like that analogy.

c. said...

Me, too. Sorry you've had a rough week. Mine has been a bit on the weepy side, too.

Aunt Becky said...

*hugs*

Great post.

AlexandrasMom said...

Thinking of you and precious Caden. Hope you can have a gentle day.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online